History of Bzowski family
Bzowski - ancient nobility and knights. This old line of Ostoja used Janota before surname to differ family from other noble Bzowski families. in 18th century this family changed their CoA to Nowina, most probably becasue of Józef Janota Bzowski that most probably used his mothers CoA. Family origin therefore from the Clan of Ostoja but use Nowina CoA. Beside Nowina, family have ancient right to use Ostoja CoA. Knowledge about Ostoja in the family is well preserved and members of the family are also members of the Ostoja Clan Association. Barones regni in Poland.
Jan de Bzow named Janota that is noted in years 1388-1419, had several son's; Maciej, Jakób, Mikołaj nad Jan that in year 1432 where commonly called Janota's and that have been used by the family since that time.
The Janota bzowski family owned through centuries many different possessions all over the Poland and where wealthy landowners.
Aleksander married to Elżbieta de Opatkowic Janowską, signed testament when beign ill but recovered. Then in year 1644 he was killed by members of Janowski and Bogusławski families, reason not known. He left three daughters and one son, of them we know about Teresa. Marcyan Janota Bzowski, son of Stanisław, kidnapped in year 1664 his cousin Teresa Janota Bzowska and marriend her. marraige between cousins or between members of Ostoja Clan was rather common once in the time. however, kidnapping lead to complications that where solved in year 1668. Not much later couple had together son's Franciszek and Aleksander and lived in the property of Połaniec. This line where confirmed beloging to noble Clan of Ostoja in year 1845 as ancestors of Jan, Lord of Mietła.
Members of Janota Bzowski
Notable members of Janota Bzowski family
- Abraham Bzowski (1567-1637) - Bzovius, famous Polish Dominican historian. He carried on the work of Baronius.
- Józef Felicjan Janota Bzowski - pierwszy w rodzinie który uzywał herbu Nowina zamiast Ostoja, prawdopodobnie po Matce. Regent grodzki sandecki, burgrabia krakowski w r. 1746
- Jacek Janota Bzowski - burgrabia krakowski w r. 1775, kawaler Orderu Św. Stanisława
- Jan Janota Bzowski - burgrabia krakowski po bracie Jacku w r. 1785
- Antoni Janota Bzowski - szambelan Króla Stanisława Augusta w r. 1784
- Czesław Janota Bzowski - major wojsk austryjackich.
Majątki ziemskie Janota Bzowskich
- Bzowo - gniazdo rodziny w powiecie olkuskim,
- Adam Boniecki, Herbarz Polski, T.2, str. 300 - Bzowski.